CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, August 9, 2010

Sister Eveland...Hot and Humid all the time

I have neglected to put any of Sister Eveland's emails up recently. I am so behind, but am going to put them all up now. Bear with me and read as you please. There are a bunch. You can also just look up the label Sister Eveland and her letters will be there as well.

This week was different from last. It rained monday but then didnt rain again until last night, and at that it lasted maybe 20 mintues. It was around 30-37 degrees at night here this week. I don't even know what it was during the day. Oh yeah that is around 100 F. HOT HOT HOT. It made the days long and tiring. But we still had a lot of sucess despite everyones schedules changing because school started this week, the heat and everything else. It was a good week. However with this heat I have a hard time sleeping. I fall asleep way fast, which for me is amazing, I just dont stay asleep. I wake up all sweaty and sticking to my pillow, and my sheet, and other body parts. And that is with two electrical fans. Haha it's great! Then I wake up to dogs barking and roosters at the crack of dawn, 4:30am. I love it here!


Actually I just looked out the window and it is pouring outside.

So I must admit, Mom I'm sorry. You can skip this paragraph if you want, I will understand. I DID eat the BBQ chicken head. I actually recorded it. There was nothing to it really, just the brain and eye socket haha. It didnt really taste like anything. But then I ate this other thing at a dinner appointment, dinugan (sp?) it is chicken in chicken blood. It was actually pretty good. It had a lot of flavor. I know I know, mom you are probably praying your heart out that I don't get sick. I hope not either. I havent gotten sick yet. They expect every american missionary here to get sick in their first 2 cycles.

This week was pasok, when all the kids go back to school. So everyone schedules are changing and a lot our appointments have fallen through, but we still almost reached all of our goals.

Our investigators are all doing great. We have commited sister Manaog to set a date to be baptized, she is giving us the date tomorrow. And her husband who is a family driver in Manila was home for the weekend, he only comes home once a month, so we shared with him and are referring him to the missionaries down there. Brother Helle is progressing, we taught him last night and gave him his own copy of the Book of Mormon even though the family he lives with already has a bunch. Sister Tocoyo, (the mother of the home where Helle leaves) came to church again this week!! She is amazing, I wouldnt have thought she was less-acive before I got here.

We had one follow up appointment this week with a lady who the elders referred to us. She didnt seem too interested the first time we taught, she said that she saw the elders and wanted her nephews to join a group that. haha anyway we went back this week, she didnt sit in on the lesson but she had 10 college (17-21 year olds) listen to us. One actually is a member in Alicia, but they are all boarding there while they go to school. We are going back tonight. Hopefully we will get a few investigators. They all participated in the last lesson so we will see.

Oh yeah I gave a talk in sacrament meeting yesterday. It was based on a conference talk. I gave it all in Tagalog and afterwards one of the ward memebers that works with the missionaries came up to me and said he was impressed because all the other American sisters who were new would always give there talks in English, even if it was there 5 talk. He told me that in three weeks my tagalog has really improved. That was a BIG compliment coming from him. I struggle everyday with the language, somedays I want to give up and speak just in english, but I wasnt called to speak English, and even though the spirit can speak in every language the people can understand Tagalog a whole let better!!!

Yesterday was crazy. We had three tricee drivers and all three were very different. The first was not a legal tricee driver, the second was this old man who was trying to set my companion and I up with his 23 year old son, and the third I am pretty sure just wanted to kill us, I don't even want to know how fast he was going. But since there arent any laws here he was in and out of traffic, even on coming traffic. When we got to our appointment both sister Resendes and I were dizzy. Haha and we had some pretty interesting lessons.

Missionary work is so different here than it is in the states. But the church is true no matter where you go. I know that I have been called here to become humbled, in more ways than one. But I love it everyday!

I love you all!!

Love sister eveland

0 comments: