CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, August 9, 2010

Sister Eveland...47 hours later I am in Cauayan, Philippines

I have neglected to put any of Sister Eveland's emails up recently. I am so behind, but am going to put them all up now. Bear with me and read as you please. There are a bunch. You can also just look up the label Sister Eveland and her letters will be there as well.

A week ago, actually not quite a week ago because it is only sunday night back in the States, I left America for a country I know little about. We loaded the bus and waved goodbye to our teachers and fellow district members who had to stay back. As we got off the bus at SLC-airport we gathered our luggage and headed for the doors. I was worried that my bags were going to be over. However, Elder Merrill was a life saver and let me but some of my heavier books in bags, which was a good thing because my bags were 51 pounds each, (blessing- they didn't charge me). We said our goodbyes to the others who were flying into San Fran and all we could say was see you in Taipei. However once we found our gates we went looking for payphones to call family and food to eat and we hooked back up with the others. It was so good to talk to everyone at home, I wish I would have had more time to call Matthew and Austin. Anyway, by the time we got to LAX I was exhausted, it was 11:30 provo time, an hour and half past our bed time!! We had about 1 hour by the time we got through customs before our flight load at 1:00am.


It was the longest flight of my life. Over 13 hours, it was a nice plane though, they treated us well, feather pillow, blanket, 2 meals, however one was at 3:00 in the morning and they did not taste very good at all. I think I got like 3 bits down. Good thing I got those packages of snacks right before I left. I couldn't sleep though on the plane, I kept waking up and everytime I did I realized I had onl y been alseep for 30min, maybe.

Finally we arrived in Taipei Tiwan. It was really pretty landing. It was so green outside, lots of farm lands. Again we rushed to find phones, and phone cards.. and sister Bruington and I bought Ice-cream (I got mango, it was really good) and REAL potstickers!! SO GOOD.

We talked the Elders in our travel groups to switch us spots on the plane so that they could all sit together and we could sit together. It was a fun plane ride. However when we got to Manila the plane went in circles like 6 times no joke. I have a picture of it because the screen infront of me showed the flight path!

This is what happened next:

Step off the plane in the Philippines,

where it smelt like beer and b.o.

Starting to get sweaty we went through customs and gathered our bags.

Said our goodbyes as travel groups began to depart.

Met up with everyone again outside were the Brother who is over all the missionaries was waiting for us.

Some missionaries were picked up by members of their MIssion presidency.

NOT ME!!

The missionaries going to Cauayan, Ilangapo, Naga, and Bagio, had to wait..and wait and wait..

In the mean time there was no where to sit down and we were sweating like crazy.

maybe 1 1\2 after we landed we loaded vans , took the two sisters who are going to Naga to the hotel because they had a flight leaving early in the morning.

THen we drove in INSANE traffic, where no one knows how to drive. Seriously they have lanes but no one uses them . there are usually more than one car or jeepni trying to use the same lane as people cross through traffice.

We went to the MTC. We were so tired by this point. We did get to shower though, which was good. Sister Jensen and Sister Brown and I went to the Temple and took pictures while Elder Merrill and Elder Mitchell slept.

Finally the missionaries that were going to Cauayan left at 7:30pm. We got to the bus station found our bus and for the next 11 hours tried to sleep on a uncomfortable cold bus. It was only supposed to be 8-9 hours. President and his wife were waiting for us since 4:30 and we didn't get there until 7:30. We then went back to the mission home and did orientation, and had breakfast, which consisted of Spagitti and a cheese burger. Wierd? YES!

Then I met my companion. Sister Resendes. She is from Utah. She is nice. I think we will get along okay. I have no idea what I am doing though. I try to teach in Tagalog and I feel like I am making no since. It is so hot here. I drip sweat on face. haha everyone here carries around a rag to wipe there face with. I am constantly sticky, because of the heat and humidity. I don't sleep with a blanket or anything, just on top of a sheet and I wake up in the morning wet, and that is with two electric fans on us.

It is really pretty here., and the people are way nice!! I am excited to become a part of the culture.

Oh yeah I am in the city of Cauayan, our branch is right behind the mission home/office. I hope that I will be able to serve farther away sometime!!

I tried mangos. ARE YOU READY FOR THIS? THEY TASTE EXACTLY LIKE THE DRIED MANGOS FROM COSTCO, ONLY FRESH!!! They are SO good. Sad part is the season is ending! The food so far is pretty good. I haven't had a problem with anything that I don't like. But then again we haven't really eaten anything totally unusual yet.

We were teaching an appointment last night, most of our appointments are outside, and I saw this thing crawling on the ground that looked like a crab/spider but I couldn't figure out what it was. My companion later told me it was a crab. I didn't expect to see crabs here.

Okay well I should end this. Sorry it is so random. It is hard to type on this keyboard and my thoughts are all over, I cannot think straight.
I love you all though.

A few notes:

1. I cannot send or recieve emails from anyone but family ( this may change next month with the new mission president)
2. Send letters through the pouch (to salt lake, there are directions on Facebook)
3. if you ever want to send a package and wonder what I might want, here are a few ideas: propel/gatorade packages, bottom sheets (they don't have those here that I have seen)
4 light wieght night gown.

Okay I have to go, five mintues left.
I love you all, thank you for everything!! I am excited to send pictures for you to see what it is like here!!

Love sister Eveland!

0 comments: