CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Garden Planning at 4am

I did not sleep to well last night.  I would wake up off and on and toss and turn.  Finally at 4am I decided to just get out of bed.  I was going to try falling asleep on the couch, but instead I turned on the computer and began to research more about our garden.  I came across a site that had a trial version of a cool program that helps you layout your garden.  So at 4am this morning I got my garden all mapped out. 
I really dont' know how or what to plant.  I just know what we like.  This is the first year we have had a LARGE garden.  The first year we started we had an area of about 2 feet by 6 feet.  We grew some peas, lettuce, corn, zucchini, beans, and cucumbers.  Everything but the corn grew and grew and grew. 
Last year we moved the garden to a better location and made some raised beds out of door frames we took from 4 doors when we remodeled our house.  Last year our garden was...SAD!  Nothing really grew.  The summer just didn't get warm enough and stay warm enough. 
I know not to expect too much out of our garden this first year since we do have all new dirt and compost, but I am so excited to see how it matures.  We now have 5 raised beds that are 3x9 feet and 12 inches deep for our veggies.  One 4x8 bed that has smaller boxes inside for strawberries.  We are trying something this year with the strawberries.  We were told that strawberries and onions LOVE each other.  So we are growing them together.  Hope it works out.  Then at the back of the garden is a 2x36 foot bed for raspberries and blackberries.  The whole garden is fenced.  JBody built some planter boxes to go around the garden fence.  We are putting flowers in some and blueberries in others.  Where our very first garden was located will be our tomatoes and basil.  This area is protected by our garage and hopefully will be even warmer for the tomatoes.  I will have to keep you posted on how everything turns out.  Now if I can stay awake...I am off to plant some of the seeds.

What are your garden plans?  Do you plant your own food?  Do you join a co-op?  I would love to hear!

0 comments: