CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas Pickle

Christmas Eve when fast asleep
The Christmas Pickle plays hide and seek.
When you awake on Christmas Morn,
Before all the wrapping is wripped and torn.
Seek that Pickle and you shall be,
The first to open a gift from under the tree.

I am no poet, but here is the poem I came up with to explain the Christmas Pickle. 
JBody and I have heard many talk of the Christmas Pickle tradition this year and we searched for one of our own.  No such luck, so I came up with my own.

1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
1/2 water
Mix all ingredients together
Kneed for 10 mins.
Shape
Cook for 1 hour in the oven at 300 degrees

We added gel food color to our dough so they came out nice and green.  Then we painted them with Elmers glue and sprinkled LOTS of green glitter on them.  I have a feeling the glitter will rub off as time goes on, but hey everything I used to make this cute little ornament was already part of my crafting and kitchen supply!

2 comments:

Laurie

So, you hide the pickle and the kids have to try and find it? I'm not sure I understand. It's very sparkly! I love all the glitter!

SharleneT

I displayed a jar of Christmas pickles at a craft fair, one year. Had the legend and everything on it. One German woman came by and said I was crazy, there was no such thing... about ten minutes later, another German woman came by and, throwing her hand over her heart, said, "Oh, my God, I have been hunting for these, for years. We had them as children on our tree in Germany!" Go figure. Great idea. Thanks for sharing... Come visit when you can...