CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

March's Mid week Menu- Country Split Pea Soup

Country Split Pea Soup

I started making this soup when we were going to Chiropractic school and were on wic.  With all the dried beans we would get each month I had to learn what to do with them.  I never knew I was such a fan of split pea soup, but this is delish. 

Ingredients
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 TB butter
2 cups (16oz bag) split peas
2 qt. chicken broth
1 bay leaf
Dash of pepper or to taste
4 small carrots, sliced
4 medium potatoes, diced
2 cups diced cooked ham

Let's get cooking
In large pot, saute onion and garlic in butter until tender.  Add peas, broth, bay leaf, and pepper.  Heat to boiling.  Reduce to simmer.  Add ham.  Cover and simmer until peas are just tender, about 30 mins.  Add vegetables and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 10-15 mins. 

So I actually add EVERYTHING at once and then bring to boil.  Then Reduce to simmer uncovered for 45mins or even longer.  If you wait to serve for a bit it gives the peas a chance to thicken.  We like it a bit thicker.  The next day it is really thick.  You could add more water or chicken broth if you don't like it that thick. 

***I tried this in the crock pot and it was a flop.  I looked online and similar recipes said to cook on low for 8-10 hours on low and 3-4 hours on high.  I cooked it for 7 hours on high until I finally dumped it all into a pot and simmered for 30 mins. I usually love my crock pot, but I am wondering if mine is slowly dying on me. ***