CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, October 18, 2010

Apple Butter

I love this time of year.  I love the smell of apples and spices.  I LOVE APPLE BUTTER!  I have had a few requests for the recipe I use for my apple butter so here you go.  I have my first batch cooking as we speak so I can't post a picture quite yet.  I promise to when I spread the yummy goodness on a piece of buttered toast.

Apple Butter

12 medium apples (I have no idea what type of apple we have on our two trees out back)
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup apple juice
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 cinnamon

In buttered crockpot (don't always do this) add your apples.  I use my handy apple slicer.  You know the circle one that cores it and quarters your apple.  I add everything core and all to the crock pot.  If you don't have a mill you will want to peel and discard your cores.  However, leaving the core helps to naturally thicken the butter. 

In a bowl mix your sugar, juice and spices.  Then pour over your apples and stir.  Cover and cook on low for 10 hours. 

About this time is when it is late at night and I don't want to wait the extra 2 hours. I put the mixture in the refrigerator and begin where I left off in the morning.

Run mixture through a food mill or if you don't have one mash with a fork or masher (doing it with a masher or fork will give you chunkier results).  I like to put it through my mill because it is alot smoother. 

(Sometimes I stop here too and wait till morning to finish)

Cook uncovered on low for 2 hours to let thicken.  Stir every so often.  I like to taste it as it cooks, because many times I add more cinnamon.  I like cinnamon. 

Let cool .  Then put in your containers.  It will store for quite sometime in the refrigerator.  This year I will skip the cooling process and can it.  So excited!!

Enjoy!  If you have any questions let me know, I will help you if I can.  This is so yummy on toast, or even when used to dip graham crackers or animal crackers in.  Writing this up is making me anxious to eat it.

0 comments: