CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, March 23, 2012

New Crib and Crib Skirt

About a week ago we got a new crib.  I was so excited for it, because the crib was causing me much anxiety during this pregnancy. Anyway I decided that I didn't want to use a bumper pad.  I've just done reading on them and decided that they really are not needed and I wanted to take all precautions with our last little one. I still wanted the crib to look cute and I didn't want to spend a whole bunch of money on a crib set that I would just be throwing the bumper pad out.  So I decided on making my own crib skirt.  I found the cutest purple polka dot fabric that matches Razy's bed spread perfectly. 
Materials:
Enough fabric to go along 3 sides of you crib.  The back side isn't seen so I wanted to save myself money
Thread
Sticky back velcro

For my crib I need 52 inches along the front and I added 2 inches for hemming and 29 plus 2 inches fabric for each side.  Make sure you measure your crib sides to get the measurement you will need.

I don't have a picture of the very first step, but fold the edge of your fabric over 1 inch and iron.  Then fold it in half again so the edge meets your iron mark. Iron this edge as well.

Take pins and pin your folds.  You really don't have to do this step, but for those of you that find it easier to sew with needles go ahead and do it.  I did it just to show you what it would look like.

Sew your hem.

Do the same thing along every edge of your skirt. 
Place the teeth side of your velcro and place it on your mattress frame and the soft side on your fabric so they match up.

I learned the hard way that sewing sticky velcro on my fabric caused my needle to gum up. I had to hand sew the velcro onto the fabric by hand. 

The front side of the bed worked perfectly using this method.  However the sides had the hardware get in the way so I had to put the velcro on the hardware.  It looked fine once it was the mattress was on there.

Here is the final crib.
 
For a no sew tutorial try

0 comments: